Ingredients needed to make french toast:
- 1 egg for every 2 slices of bread
- Non-stick spray, olive oil, or butter/margarine
- Cinnamon (season to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 ml) vanilla extract (vanilla essence, optional)
- Bread (6 pieces), type of bread is up to your preference. We suggest 1 inch thick slices of day-old French bread.
- Icing Sugar, syrup, jam, etc.
- Milk (depending on number of eggs, 2 tablespoons per egg)
How to make French toast – Step 1:
Turn the stove or griddle (electric pan) on to high heat.
How to make French toast – Step 2:
If using a stove, place a pan over the burner.
How to make French toast – Step 3:
Crack the eggs into a bowl
How to make French toast – Step 4:
Add the cinnamon, milk and vanilla extract, then beat with a fork or whisk until thoroughly mixed.
How to make French toast – Step 5:
Once the pan is sufficiently pre-heated (approximately 3 minutes), turn down the heat to medium-low.
How to make French toast – Step 6:
Dip the bread into the egg mixture, thoroughly coating each side of the bread.
How to make French toast – Step 7:
Add a non-stick spray, butter or oil to avoid the bread sticking to the pan. Place slices of mixture coated bread into the pan.
How to make French toast – Step 8:
Cook the slices approximately 45 seconds on each side or until golden brown.
How to make French toast – Step 9:
Place the French toast on a plate, optionally sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with syrup.
Some fruit either on the side or on top of the French toast adds a nice edible garnish. French toast can also be served with hot apple sauce or sprinkled with cinnamon.
Hawaiian style French toast:
- Use Bavarian sweet bread or another type of sweet bread
- Place sliced fresh banana and macadamia nuts on the cooked French toast once on the plate
- Serve with coconut syrup
Other french toast ideas:
- For cooking light French toast, use only one yolk for every six eggs or only egg whites
- Try using cinnamon bread
- If gluten intolerant, try using rice bread
- For healthier alternatives, use a high-fiber, low-salt bread (for more dense bread, soak each piece for at least 30 seconds on each side)
- Top french toast with orange marmalade and pecans and place in a warm oven (approx. 200 degrees F) for 1-2 minutes
- Top French toast with apple-sauce, cranberries and toasted almonds